A Very Cultural Sunday

Kampong Glam, Arab street, Haji Lane...very interesting little nooks that I've only recently come to discover. Of all I am most familar with Arab Street cos every now and then I will go there to look at silk for my clients. But that's it. Just Bobby Fabrics and maybe a few other fabric shops there. Couple of weeks back, because of Dom's party, we went to No. 1 Costumes Costume (no error, that's their name, with costume twice) to deck ourselves up with 70s disco outfits. After that we went to Blue Jazz. Love the satays there.. and of course the beer too.
Today's visit is entirely different. Very cultural. Bez needs to do an article for the fair over at the Malay Heritage Centre. As usual, this mummy offered to be driver and here we are on a Sunday morning, dragged ourselves out of bed and headed off to Kampong Glam ;-)
Silat performanceBez doing his job... looks like a journalist? REmember these chocolates? Wes is very fascinated by this old typewriter and wants to get one. I think it is pretty cool too. Where can I get it and can I even get the tapes to replace? Recognise the vinly floor, radio and gates from yesteryear? These are back in the 60s.. when Kampong living moves up to HDB's flat.Black & White TV with sliding doors.

And these canvas bed. It's foldable and I remember sleeping on one of these... gee i must be old, bed in museum!Good way to recycle. I love it so much, the guy gave it to me :-)
Hands on batik painting

Not bad right?
Job done! leaving to dry
Very late lunch afterwards at Aminah's Grill. Houmous dips, a chick peas blended with spices - an acquired taste i think. I love the pita bread thou.
Mixed grill kebabs with black pepper sauce. Beef very tender. Chicken great too, but don't really care for the lamb cutlets.
Mixed seafood grill - fish, humongous prawns, mussels and squids. Yummy. The prawns were great.

French custard with caramel. Not recommended. Too sweet.

Comments

Rachael said…
Your batiks look great. I want to do this!!
shirin said…
The food looks yummier than it sounds but i wanna eat it cos im hungry. waiting for our roast in the oven! I love middle eastern food. i would've finished yr dip!!!

Popular posts from this blog

My Implants

Fajitas Dinner

Sex & the City - Gold Class